Thursday, October 17, 2019

THURSDAY 10.17.19 NEW YORK CORNING GLASS MUSEUM

Have you ever given much thought to glass? I'll be honest, I haven't. It was just always there. Windows. Pepsi bottles. Glasses. Dishes. The list goes on and on.

I didn't realize how close to Corning we were and was surprised to hear we were only 10 miles away. So today we went to the Corning Glass Museum. We wanted to do a glass blowing class but they only had one slot open at the end of the day. That wasn't going to work.



So we went through the museum, sat in on some demonstrations and bought a few things in the gift shop.
I was really sorry that we didn't get to take the glass blowing class and make something.

I knew as soon as we walked in the first artist showcased  was one I knew.  Dale Chihuly, I've seen his shows a couple of times now.

Light fixtures that caught our eye.



The soul leaving the body.



This one caught our eyes too. 


Strands of glass.




I would never in a million years think to pick clear glasses, green glasses,  gold glasses and brown glasses, assemble them on glass shelves and call it,,,,well, I don't know what they call it.  But I liked it!




Many shards of glass!



Now you've all seen glass fruit at one time or another.  My      grandmother had a bowl of glass fruit that sat on the kitchen table  when I was a little girl.  It wasn't anything like this though!



Now you see why!


We took the time to sit it on a couple of demonstrations.  Here are pictures from one of them.












When I first looked at this I didn't quite know what to make of it.  Upon closer inspection
I realized what it was made of.


BOWLS!


A chair made of glass.


Walt checking out a display.


We made our way into the gift shop and believe me we could have spent a fortune in there.  It didn't hurt that some  most of the items were outrageously priced.   To us that is.  I'm sure the artists and collectors think these prices are just fine.  This piece below I liked very much and had every intention of buying it until I saw they wanted $158.00 for it.  Maybe another day,,,,,after we win the lottery.




Now we did buy several things,,,,from the 50% off table.  I collect snowmen so I got this one.


Walt picked this one out.   (I should have cleared the table first)


This is about 10 inches tall and filled with a string of teeny tiny lights.  It should be pretty when lit.


Walt was like a little kid in a candy shop when he saw the sports section.    We just had to have this!







No comments:

Post a Comment