Saturday, October 19, 2019

SATURDAY 10.19.19 KENTUCKY WILLIAMSTOWN

We got on the road pretty early because we don't have a clue where we are going to stay once we get to what we want to do today. We started out headed to Cleveland. Now why in the world would anyone go to Cleveland???? Well, we were going to see the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Luckily, before we had to make a determination on which road to take I thought to call them to see about parking since we ran into that situation with the Lucy and Desi Museum with their parking situation. So I called, they told me they didn't have parking for an RV of any size but that there was parking not too far away, just a couple of blocks walk where we could park. To the tune of $35.00 No. Way. What a rip off! Why do museums build but not have parking facilities? I do realize that the R&RHofF was built back in '83 and that 37 years ago RV;s were few and far between, nothing like today. But times have changed and a lot of us boomers have RV's and we travel to see things like the R&RHoF At the very least they should have some kind of agreement with the place a few blocks away for reasonable parking fees and a shuttle bus to the museum. We were both greatly disappointed because we really, really wanted to go there.

So I called to the place we're going in Kentucky to see if we could come in a day early. Since we will be in overflow there was no problem.

So on to Kentucky. Now we had no idea what kind of park we were going to but we really had second thoughts when we pulled onto the road that leads to it. Picture this. A one lane road with trees/brush on the driver's side On the passenger side, well, not the greatest neighborhood and we'll leave it at that. Now I can see two cars squeezing by each other but I don't see how 2 RV's of any size could. Now let's add in some BIG potholes! And let's not forget the blind curves. Oh and a STEEP HILL that leads down into the campground. Luckily, we did not encounter anyone coming out as we made our way in.

This campground is 50 years old and the couple who leases it are making improvements as fast as they can. The bathrooms/showers are just beautiful! The pool needs a lot of work and that's on their to do list. Rachel and Chris were very friendly and did everything possible to accommodate their campers.

Now one thing I do not like about this campground is the skinny bridges one has to go over to cross the creek bed. These "bridges" are one "wide as a wheelbase" lane only and I would panic if I had to drive my golf cart over it! I truly panicked, to the point I had to get out of the truck because I was so afraid we were going off the side since there were no railings at all. Now I know Walt certainly wouldn't drive the truck and camper off the side of this skinny, short bridge but I am deathly afraid of the right side of the road, ever since I was 17 and involved a car accident where the car rolled over twice on the right side and down embankment. It did get to the point that if I held on, white knuckled to the door handle, shut my eyes and held my breath I could make it across if Walt talked to me the whole time. I mean c'mon, we're talking 4 seconds here! Even I know how ridiculous this is but when you have a fear....

So here we are for the next four nights. We have a full fresh water tank, an empty black tank and solar on the roof. Alls right with our world.


No comments:

Post a Comment