Wednesday, October 9, 2019

WEDNESDAY 10.9.19 CONNECTICUT - MYSTIC

Today we woke to a rainy, dreary miserable day. We didn't want to spend the day sitting in the camper so after some computer research we grabbed our umbrellas and decided to go see a cider mill.

I can't believe we have to deal with this nor'easter. Actually, I can't believe I just typed the word nor'easter. Been a long time since I've even said that word! But, here we are, rain, strong winds, the whole nine yards. We are so over it!


Turns out that Clyde's Cider Mill was a lot closer than we thought. Established in 1881 by B. F. (Frank) and Abby Clyde, it is now run by the 6th generation of the Clyde family.




There is a small store on the grounds in addition to a wine tasting facility. The store sells apples, apple pies, jams, jellies, honey, fudge and dozens of other things.  This caught my eye right away!



Now we all know strawberry jam is made from strawberries and apple jelly is made from apples, just as peach preserves are made from peaches so I wonder what this is REALLY made of!  Whatever it is, a jar went home with us as did one for me made with three kinds of berries, its a pretty red color.   Walt's beer jelly is the color of beer and I have to admit, I did willingly (kinda, sorta) taste it and it wasn't all that bad.


The mill only operates during the months of September through December.  Its not a very big building at all.


Apples waiting to be processed.


They operate the mill with the only steam powered cider mill in the country.






In 1994 Clyde's Cider Mill was designated a National Historic Landmark

After we did the cider mill thing our next destination was Mystic Pizza! Address googled, loaded into the GPS and we were one our way. All to no avail. There was no parking to be had anywhere near the pizza joint nor was there any parking for blocks around! I was so disappointed. But at least I got a picture of it!


We filled the gas tank, made a stop at Walmart and called it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment